Thursday, February 11, 2010

TechEd Sri Lanka - 50% success?






I participated in teched 2010 Sri Lanka which was held from 8th Feb 2010 to 10th Feb 2010. The venue (Waters Edge) was really good. Their beverages were also quite good. However, the real value of such an event is represented by the technical skills and knowledge we gain during the sessions. Don't forget that each participant pays over Rs:12,000 as registration fee.

I attended 12 sessions in total. Out of which 4 sessions were carried out by local speakers (Prasanna, Joy and Rohan). Prassanna was outstanding. He had v.good content and looked well prepared. He was also very thorough with the subject areas, and presented very well. To me, he was one of the best speakers. Joy was also good.

The sessions carried out by US speakers (Bruce Schneier and Brian Puhl) were outstanding. Some thoughts putout by Bruce were very insightful. His speach on IT-Economics got me really thinking (I will blog on the thoughts he shared with us in near future). Rushabh Mehta was also really good. His sessions on reporting services and pivot tables were very exciting.

But some of the sessions carried out by Singhporean and Malaysian speakers (Namely Darren Sim, Seok Chern, Risman Adnan) were really dissapointing. (They may be distinguished personalities, I am reffering to their presetnation here). What they talked for over a hour could have been understood by 10 mins googling. Such presentations would have been ideal for ASP.NET beginners. To make the situation worse, most ASP.NET sessions were carried by these guys. I had to participate in 5 of their sessions. To me - that was a total waste of time and money.

In overall, the organizing etc was quite good. I also loved the fact that there were many raffle draws and gift give aways (although I didn't get anything :D). However, the quality of almost half of the sessions I participated were dissapointing. After all, isn't the "quality of sessions" that measure the success of such a technical events?

No comments: